Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Friday 29 August 2003 23:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

There are packages that rely on libraries being in /usr/lib.
They obviously need to be changed to find them in /usr/lib64
when running on a biarch 32/64 bit system. E.g. KDE has been
changed to default to a $prefix/lib64 path when running on
amd64, which is the correct thing to do (according to LSB).

It would be just wrong to patch upstream packages into
non-standard behavior in order to get a short-term solution.

One more important problem is that that attempt would
prevent us from getting a clean upgrade path to the
correct solution. Right now we have a (potential) way of
upgrading i386 to amd64, once we start getting incompatible
with the rest of the world that won't work anymore.

	Arnd <><