Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Friday 29 August 2003 21:40, Pete Harlan wrote:
> I'm not arguing against a 32-bit-capable hybrid, but if it's trivial
> to port everything wholesale to dedicated-64-bit, that would *not*
> merely be an academic exercise, it would be entirely useful to a whole
> class of users during the year it will take to get the hybrid designed
> and coded.

The problem is that its *not* trivial to do the 64-bit-only solution,
for different reasons. One is that an increasing number of upstream
packages rely on the directory layout for amd64.

> The alternative for many of us is either buy an Itanium or Sun (lots
> more money) or buy Suse.

Right. Of course SuSE is not the only distribution for amd64. You still
have the option of migrating your systems from Debian/i386 or another
amd64 distro to Debian/amd64 at a later time.

	Arnd <><