Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:29:33PM -0500, Michael Shuey wrote:
> I don't see a pure 64-bit port as that useful; there's a lot of software
> that I just don't need rebuilt (apache, for example).

And the major advantage for opteron is to have 32-bit compatibility.
Being able to smoothly migrate from a debian x86 to a debian opteron, by just changing the hardware, is imho a major feature.

> These extra -amd64 packages could be kept in a separate apt archive
> initially, until proper testing can be done and a place found in the main

In fact, opteron boxes would use the standard x86 archive, PLUS additional 64-bit sources. Does this make sense?

In that way, installing a debian on an opteron box could be done:
- installing a regular x86 debian version
- adding 64-bit opteron sources
- migrating the kernel, and essential packages to 64-bit, installing 64-bit essential packages
- smoothly migrating services (apache, ..) to 64-bit