Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 03:43, Roland Fehrenbacher wrote:

>     Xavier> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:29:33PM -0500, Michael Shuey wrote:
>     >> I don't see a pure 64-bit port as that useful; there's a lot of software
>     >> that I just don't need rebuilt (apache, for example).
>
>     Xavier> And the major advantage for opteron is to have 32-bit
>     Xavier> compatibility.  Being able to smoothly migrate from a debian x86 to
>     Xavier> a debian opteron, by just changing the hardware, is imho a major
>     Xavier> feature.
>
> Fully agreed. A pure 64bit distro would be nothing more than an academical
> exercise at this stage and the foreseeable future with little practical value
> and even less real users. 32 bit binaries will need to run on these machines
> for a long time. Please don't waist resources for this.

Why?  Anyone who only runs official Debian packages, or writes/
builds their own code, will be perfectly fine.  If you need, say,
Java, grab the source from a Blackdown mirror and build it.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Python is executable pseudocode; Perl is executable line noise"