RE: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 20:31, marc.miller@amd.com wrote:
> To clarify, I (being me, and not necessarily AMD) still love
> the 32/64 hybrid idea, and if "doogie" is the gatekeeper here,
> I'm willing to approach him myself to see if there's something
> AMD can do to make him more flexible on this issue.  Given
> the pent-up demand for an AMD64 port of Debian, I (speaking
> as AMD for a moment) would rather see a pure 64-bit port than
> none at all.

I agree.  32/64 is the ultimate goal, but to get fully functional
sarge-when-it-becomes-stable on Opteron, a compromise must be made.

Otherwise, Debian users who need Opteron will have to go to SuSE
and may never be able to come back.

No, it won't be perfect for everyone; it will be "half a loaf".  I
don't know the etymology of this phrase, but we Americans have the
saying "half a loaf is better than no loaf at all".

Note also that there "64-bit only" isn't intrinsically *wrong*,
since there is a "64-bit only" mode in AMD64.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.