Package names & LSB spec

All,

I'd like to update my statement from the BOF session at Ottawa Linux Symposium.

I said it is AMD's preference that the terms x86-64 and x86_64 eventually disappear and be replaced by amd64, and though we realize it's impossible to make this change in all places, we'd like to see the package names renamed as part of this.

This has changed.  According to Chapter 24 of the LSB spec for AMD64 (http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/archLSB/AMD64/spec/swinstall.html), in order to be LSB compliant, your package names must specify the architecture as x86_64.

For optimal compatibility with non-compliant Linux distributions, I still encourage you to construct dpkg and related tools to recognize amd64 as a synonym for x86_64, but x86_64 must remain the official arch name for the forseeable future.

I apologize for any inconvenience I've caused, and promise to accept flames on this topic graciously.  :)

Marc J. Miller
Strategic Alliance Manager
Infrastructure Enablement Group
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. <http://www.amd.com/>