Re: Opteron progress??

* Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> [030728 18:06]:

> I was actually asked directly at work today what I thought was
> going to happen to Red Hat and whether Debian supported the AMD64.
>
> I've seen a couple of posts on this topic since about March.
>
> Anybody care to sum up in words suitable for a suit how well
> Debian supports AMD64 / when it will be ready to support AMD64

We do not have a full port.  At this time, the best we can do is install
Sarge (32bit) and run the kernel in 64bit.  By installing the biarch
toolchain and glibc you will be able to compile your own 64bit programs
(but not deb packages).

Arnd and I have a quite a few libraries packaged up for AMD64 arch.
Sadly, the ported utilities and libraries are not yet enough to run
anything useful (like apache).  You can get some of these by following
the links on this page:

	http://jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/

Also, I invite you to join the mailing list referenced there.

I am currently working on some changes to dpkg and apt that will make it
possible to build and install pure-64bit and 32/64 biarch packages while
still maintaining compatibility with i386 packages.

I hope to have these done by the end of August.

Regards,
Bart.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/