Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:37:14AM +1000, Darren Goossens wrote:
> My experience with the April 2020 Alpha iso
>
> Booted fine, asked for me to load qlogic/1040.bin on removable media.
> I downloaded the deb file for buster, exploded it and copied all the
> bin files onto both a floppy and a USB stick. The AlphaServer 1200 has
> a USB card in a PCI slot.
> Put both the USB and the floppy into the Alpha
> Said yes, look for files on removable media.
> It did not seem to poll either the USB or the floppy (eg floppy light
> never came on; USB LED was on but never flashed)
> Then  I got the same screen about loading firmware from removable media.
> Exited to shell.
>
> # find /dev -iname "*usb*"
> /dev/bus/usb
> # find /dev -iname "*fd*"
> /dev/fd
>
> There is no device (fd0) for the floppy in /dev.

Interesting.  I've just checked on my running XP1000 and I see there
is no /dev/fd0 either.  I'm running a self-compiled 5.6.3 kernel and
the floppy module is built.  Modprobing it loaded it and then I have
a /dev/fd0 device node.  What's more it works --- I managed to list
the directory of an old floppy disk!  Woah.  Haven't done that for
very many years.

Checking the debian built kernel install (5.5.0-1-alpha-generic),
the floppy driver is indeed built.

So is the floppy module included in the install ISO, and, if so,
can you run insmod on it to enable the floppy drive while
installing?

Cheers,
Michael.