Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-11-22

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:00:59PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> Did you build with latest toolchain?  I suspect the issue has
> appeared with toolchain changes (hard to pin down when because there
> was quite a period in which a new version of guile-2.0 was not
> uploaded).
>
> And the bug (a segfault when texi documentation is built with the
> recently built guild executable) looks to be present elsewhere too
> (take a look at #941218 where comment #10 seen on Ubuntu looks
> suspiciously like what we see on Alpha assuming it occurs at the
> same place).

I think I answered the toolchain question in my reply to Adrian's
earlier message.  There was an attached "packages" file with the complete
list of what I've got installed on the PWS.

> Unless built in clean chroot with only the build dependencies installed
> and with an up to date toolchain they won't be much use to us.

The toolchain is up-to-date, but I don't have the infrastructure to
support a clean chroot environment, even on another local system if I
were to try and use a cross-compiler vs. a native build.  In reference
to the build dependencies, if particular versions aren't specified, or
are only loosely specified (e.g., >= some value), are the dependencies
considered "best" satisfied with a stable package version meeting the
requirement?  Or is the current unstable version of a dependency
preferred when building for "sid"?  Many variables to consider, I guess.

--Bob