Re: Updated installation images 2019-01-20

On 5/10/19 23:03, Michael Cree wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 09:31:02PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
On May 10, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Skye <skye@20maguire.com> wrote:

I was able to boot from CDROM and the loading ran fine until it got to the
hardware discovery phase.  It was unable to find the CD-ROM hardware. My
AlphaStations all have the Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM player.

Good to hear that! Last time I tested Debian GNU/Linux Sid (not the
installer!) on my older AlphaStations with EV4(5) they hang during
kernel boot. Looks like I should give them another try with the current
kernel and userland. Thanks for the encouraging information. :-)

Yes, the generic kernel has been fixed and uploaded into the archive.
It should now boot correctly.

Yes, Michael, I think so, too. But last time I tested my AlphaStations
200 and 255 I used the MP kernel, as the SP kernel did just crash the
machine(s) and they did hang with the MP kernel about halfway during the
kernel boot and couldn't finish booting then - while other SP Alpha
machines worked flawlessly with the MP kernel.

UPDATE: Just finished my testing on my AlphaStations 200 and 255 and
also tested my AXPpci 33 in addition and can confirm, that the current
SP kernel (4.19.0-5) works on these. Great to have the AlphaStations
back on Linux :-), IIRC the AXPpci 33 didn't show the hangs mentioned
earlier.

I only had some strange issue on the AlphaStation 255, where it looked
like the machine "hang" for while (maybe 15 or 30 seconds) and then
continued during kernel boot. The strange thing here was, that the
timestamps of the following kernel messages didn't reflect these hangs.
E.g. although the machine looked like it was blocked for a 20 seconds or
so, the next message didn't had that amount of time added to the
timestamp value. Maybe a hardware issue, as the NVRAM battery is
depleted on this machine. But could be unrelated, as the AXPpci 33's
NVRAM battery is also depleted and no such issues there.

Ever noticed something like that on your Alpha machines?

Cheers,
Frank