Re: pata drivers in the alpha installer

On 5/8/19 11:16 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> The pata-modules are indeed missing in the initramfs for the installer
> CDROM and the cause of my installation problems on my DS25 (see [1] and
> follow-ups). I haven't yet tested on my DS20E and ES45, but assume they
> are also affected, if their disc drives are attached to a PATA port.

Yes, I will look into fixing this. I have already put this on my TODO
list. Please note that I don't do any hasty changes just to help users
as quickly as possible. I am collecting these issues, investigate them
and then fix them making sure I don't break anything else.

This also means that I don't push any crude "works-for-me" hacks. The
goal isn't just to fix individual issues that users have but to improve
overall quality and compatibility of Debian and its components on the
Ports architectures.

> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2019/05/msg00000.html
>
> @JH:
> I must have overlooked that part like Adrian or maybe forgot it, because
> I remember your message to the debian-alpha list back in January. IIRC
> testing at that time was not possible on real hardware because of a bug
> in the kernel that only showed in non-MP kernels - and unfortunately the
> installer kernel for alpha is non-MP. Thankfully that's fixed now.

Yes, as I have already mentioned, the problem was that he was throwing
two completely distinct and independent issues into one bug report. This
always bears the danger that issues fall off the table simply because of
the sheer amount of mails and bug reports we are getting every day.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz