Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-09

Hi, and thanks for the inte3resting discussion.

Yes, the QLOGIC chip seems to be the issue. The Debian 5 installer
works flawlessly. I used full disk not netinstall for that.

I cannot say what would work best for the most people, and thus be
best place to put your efforts, but I do know that the floppy works on
this machine (AlphaServer 1200), though in Deb 5 I had to modprobe
floppy first.

I'd note that the firmware package (.deb) containing the qlogic stuff
is too big to fit on a 1.44MB floppy, but if the installer can read
the files from a directory structure as well as from a deb file, then
the deb can be exploded and the files put on several disks -- or just
the required files on a singe one. As long as individual files are
lass than disk capacity, this might act as a workaround to keep the
Debian kernel untainted.

Thus, it would be interesting to make floppy.ko available, and
possibly autoloaded, inside the initramfs on the installer. (Sorry if
I've got some terminology wrong, I'm not a system programmer or
anything). Plainly, it would be great if the firmware was already in
there, but if it cn't be....

Older disks boot ok (I have a recollection of booting Debian 9 and 8
as well, from http://backup.parisc-linux.org/debian-cd/debian-8.0/alpha/
-- probably the CD-1 rather than the netinst. So I am guessing there
must be an alternative.

Many thanks

Darren

--