Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-09

Hi,

As far as I understand, it seems that booting a SCSI
drive (disk, cdrom) on alpha needs a (non-free)
firmware for the QLOGIC chip (see the thread
following [1] for an example and the answer of Michael Cree)

This firmware should be loaded somehow : embedded in
the (tainted) kernel (as suggested in [1]), included
in the initramfs or loaded from a floppy at boot time
(if the floppy drive is still functional and there is
a floppy driver in the kernel).

These firmwares are packaged in : firmware-qlogic (non-free)
which is not mirrored on ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports
but on regular mirrors.

I hope it will help !

Many thanks for all this work towards a (smoothly) working
install CD for alpha - and especially for fixing the generic
kernel and assembling the CD
(I am not able to test currently, sorry)

Regards,
JH Chatenet

[1] : https://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2017/11/msg00000.html