Re: Alpha build progress and suggestions for helping

On 4/09/2011, at 7:16 PM, Ken Raeburn wrote:
On Sep 3, 2011, at 21:21, Michael Cree wrote:
gnat-4.4 (The ada compiler) is also refusing to build.  It seems to
build depend on itself and isn't happy with the old version available so
gets given back to be built again, ad infinitum.  Maybe someone would
like to investigate that or talk to the gnat maintainers to get advice
on how it can be built.

I believe you're supposed to be able to build it with a cross- compiler, so gnat-4.4 on x86 or x86_64 built to target alpha may be a way to get a native compiler built.

Yes, I already have an Alpha cross-compiler installed. I only use it for trial compiles, not for packages to be uploaded to Debian-Ports.

Looking at the gcc web pages I see that gnat requires an Ada compiler to be built because some of the front-end compiler is written in Ada. We have an Ada compiler on Alpha -- it is gnat -- but it is currently uninstallable and that is our problem.

I now realise that I should've been compiling gnat as well as glibc, binutils and gcc/g++ when I took them through the multiarch transition. And what's more, I see that I have not keep my intermediate versions of glibc/gcc and they were never uploaded. Oh bother, that my mean that I have to do the whole transition again but this time with gnat also, so that at the end I can upload gnat only. I keep thinking about it to see if there is a quicker/easier way.

Cheers
Michael.