Re: Where to start hacking unstable on Alpha?

On 06/07/11 04:25, Bill MacAllister wrote:
> The biggest difference that I see if the version of libc6.1.  What is
> installing on my systems is 2.7-18lenny7.  I will build a newer
> version and see if that helps me.

I have that same version of libc6.1 on my Lenny system, but in the
chroot it has version 2.13-8+alpha1 (where +alpha1 indicates one of my
patches).  If you are compiling a 2.13 series eglibc make sure you get
2.13-10 which is the first to contain the aforementioned patch; without
it your chroot will be screwed.  One symptom is that apt-get will refuse
to install any packages whatsoever due to misdetected free space on the
disk.

When I set up my chroot on the Lenny system I think I used debootstrap
with apt sources pointing at debian-ports.  The debootstrap didn't
complete installation of packages as there were conflicts in
debian-ports.  It didn't even get apt-get installed.   Fortunately I
have a mirror of my approx cache taken at the time the Debian Alpha
autobuilders were shut down so I was able to copy packages from that and
manually install with dpkg.  Eventually I got the conflict resolved.
Then I pointed the chroot apt sources at my own repository and upgraded
to that.  That's when the libc6.1 12.3 series got installed.

I think the only other problem I had was a misconfiguration in the
chroot configs (it didn't mount /dev/pts so some sbuilds initially failed).

Cheers
Michael.