Re: Where to start hacking unstable on Alpha?

--On Monday, July 04, 2011 08:36:20 AM +1200 Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Life isn't easy in the Unstable chroot, worst of all, it seems that
coreutils are working bad, expecially 'rm'.
This is really bad situation, if coreutils don't work well, nothing
will grow up in health.

I am not seeing this problem.  I have an unstable chroot running on a
PWS600au under Lenny and a unstable chroot running on a XP1000 under
Sid.  All are updated to my repository which is a few hundred packages
ahead of debian-ports.

I also have an unhappy chroot.  I am running a 2.6.32 kernel with older,
i.e. not qlogic, SCSI controllers.  Here is what is an example of what is
currently holding me up:

 # chroot unstable
 # cd tmp
 # mkdir foo
 # mkdir foo/bar
 # chown -R root foo
 chown: cannot access `foo/bar': Function not implemented

My guess would be that Michael's chroots pre-date the change that is
causing the problem.  I think that we require a newer kernel or an older
chroot.

Bill

--

Bill MacAllister
Infrastructure Delivery Group, Stanford University