Re: Where to start hacking unstable on Alpha?

On 5/07/2011, at 11:22 AM, Bill MacAllister wrote:
--On Monday, July 04, 2011 08:36:20 AM +1200 Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz > wrote:
Life isn't easy in the Unstable chroot, worst of all, it seems that
coreutils are working bad, expecially 'rm'.
This is really bad situation, if coreutils don't work well, nothing
will grow up in health.

I am not seeing this problem.  I have an unstable chroot running on a
PWS600au under Lenny and a unstable chroot running on a XP1000 under
Sid. All are updated to my repository which is a few hundred packages
ahead of debian-ports.

I also have an unhappy chroot. I am running a 2.6.32 kernel with older, i.e. not qlogic, SCSI controllers. Here is what is an example of what is
currently holding me up:

# chroot unstable
# cd tmp
# mkdir foo
# mkdir foo/bar
# chown -R root foo
chown: cannot access `foo/bar': Function not implemented

My guess would be that Michael's chroots pre-date the change that is
causing the problem. I think that we require a newer kernel or an older
chroot.

On the XP1000:

Kernel 2.6.38.8 compiled from sources from kernel.org.
Debian version: Sid updated to my repository which is ahead of debian- ports. Schroot: 1.4.23-1 with sid installed and upgraded to my repository. Has libc6.1 version 2.13-8 for example and is currently building eglibc 2.13-9.

On the PWS600au:

Kernel is Debian Lenny kernel 2.6.26-2-alpha-generic
Debian version: Lenny with sbuild/buildd from Lenny-backports.
Schroot: 1.4.19-1~bpo50+3 with sid installed and upgraded to my repository. Has libc6.1 version 2.13-8 for example.

The buildd on the PWS600au is working very nicely. The one on the XP1000 does not upload packages properly, i.e, the perl code errors out when buildd-uploader is called, so I am having to call dupload manually. Might be because perl is still at 5.10.1-19 on this machine (whereas it has upgraded to 5.12.whatever in the sid chroot environment) because I don't have enough built yet for apt-get dist- upgrade to work.

BTW, eglibc will only build with a newer kernel. It failed with many test suite failures on the PWS600au running the Lenny kernel, but builds fine on the XP1000. Even kernel 2.6.32 won't be good enough as it is missing a number of syscalls.

Maybe I should add one of my Alphas to the debian-ports autobuilder instead of selfishly building packages for myself? But I would only want to do this for the short-term, i.e., to help clear some of the backlog, as I would ultimately like to be able to use the XP1000 for my own purposes!

Cheers
Michael.