Re: alpha and hppa removal from unstable/experimental

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 12:42:52PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
>> At the time Alpha was removed from the testing distribution it did
>> have serious issues and was criticised for a lack of upstream
>> support. The upstream support has now largely been addressed.  The
>> kernel is now up to date with other architectures and is being
>> supported.  X windows is now working on the more modern Alphas (i.e.
>> those with the BWX CPU extension), and the fixes to get KMS working
>> on Alpha will soon make their way into the kernel.  There is now
>> upstream support addressing issues in the compiler toolchain and
>> glibc.
>>

> I would not say the same about glibc upstream support. When glibc 2.13
> has been released, it was not even compiling on alpha. After fixing the
> build part, the testsuite results were very bad. You need a bunch of
> patches to get it in a correct state, and I am the one who spent time
> to write most of them.

This is partly due to the fact that I hate trying to submit things to
glibc. Also that I don't have any time right now. But mostly because I
hate glibc development.

I pushed a lot of patches we'd been carrying in Gentoo before 2.12,
but I don't have the time or willpower to even follow all the "I made
this change to the MIPS headers. Alpha will want to do the same"-type
changes.

I really appreciate you tracking down and fixing a lot of glibc
problems recently.

Thanks,
Matt