Re: alpha and hppa removal from unstable/experimental

On 03/04/11 20:51, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 12:42:52PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
At the time Alpha was removed from the testing distribution it did
have serious issues and was criticised for a lack of upstream
support. The upstream support has now largely been addressed.  The
kernel is now up to date with other architectures and is being
supported.  X windows is now working on the more modern Alphas (i.e.
those with the BWX CPU extension), and the fixes to get KMS working
on Alpha will soon make their way into the kernel.  There is now
upstream support addressing issues in the compiler toolchain and
glibc.

I would not say the same about glibc upstream support.When glibc 2.13
has been released, it was not even compiling on alpha.  After fixing the
build part, the testsuite results were very bad. You need a bunch of
patches to get it in a correct state, and I am the one who spent time
to write most of them.

Fair enough. I was pushing it a bit mentioning glibc. The upstream support is in the form of Richard Henderson, who when he is prompted and an issue is made known to him, will produce a fix.

Your response makes it clear that we need someone to be compiling and testing glibc before a release is made. I know this is now happening regularly for the kernel, and I do it on occasion for the Xserver, and I believe the Gentoo guys have given one of the gcc developers access to Alpha hardware which has progressed work on the compiler suite.

The time you have just spent on the Alpha port of glibc is certainly very much appreciated around this neck of the woods!

Cheers
Michael.