Re: alpha and hppa removal from unstable/experimental

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 12:42:52PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> At the time Alpha was removed from the testing distribution it did
> have serious issues and was criticised for a lack of upstream
> support. The upstream support has now largely been addressed.  The
> kernel is now up to date with other architectures and is being
> supported.  X windows is now working on the more modern Alphas (i.e.
> those with the BWX CPU extension), and the fixes to get KMS working
> on Alpha will soon make their way into the kernel.  There is now
> upstream support addressing issues in the compiler toolchain and
> glibc.

I would not say the same about glibc upstream support. When glibc 2.13
has been released, it was not even compiling on alpha. After fixing the
build part, the testsuite results were very bad. You need a bunch of
patches to get it in a correct state, and I am the one who spent time
to write most of them.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73