Re: Strange QLA1040 firmaware load error with 2.6.30 from testing

Uwe Schindler wrote:
After upgrading to linux-image-2.6.30-alpha-generic I get the following
trace in the kernel log. The qlogic firmware package is installed, as
initramfs complained about missing bin files.

The driver loads and the system works as expected, all disks are reported:

[    4.416013] qla1280 0000:00:09.0: firmware: requesting qlogic/1040.bin
[    4.416013] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[    4.416013] WARNING: at
/build/buildd-linux-2.6_2.6.30-5-alpha-u828kA/linux-2
.6-2.6.30/debian/build/source_alpha_none/kernel/softirq.c:141
_local_bh_enable_i

Anybody has seen this, too?

Yes. I normally run my own kernel from kernel.org but the Debian kernel has finally caught up to the leading edge and I thought I'd give it a go. With the Debian kernel I also see the warning and backtrace. The 2.6.30.5 kernel I compiled from kernel.org source does not give the warning. That might be because I select the kernel config option to include the firmwire in the kernel binary.

Just one question: Is the firmware always needed or can I uninstall the
qlogic-firmware package again? Does the controller has an eprom or does it
only works with driver-provided firmware? As the firmware does not seem to
be loaded correctly, is it really needed?

When I first tried the Debian 2.6.30 kernel the kernel locked up when initialising the qlogic driver as I had completely forgotten about the firmware. After installing qlogic-firmware driver it then booted fine. Given I was running a kernel that included the firmware prior to running the Debian kernel that is suggestive that the firmware is reloaded on every boot.

Cheers
Michael.