Re: Installing on a Alpha XL 300

On Tue 14 Apr 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Sorry, this pointer to MILO isn't supposed to be there; MILO hasn't been
> supported for at least three releases now, because it's based on an ancient
> Linux kernel that can no longer be built from source.  And it looks like I

Note that the kernel version MILO is built from isn't related to the
kernel version it can boot. I have kernel 2.6.17.11 running on my xlt,
and I boot that using a MILO from 2002.

I wouldn't be surprised if that MILO could boot a more recent kernel,
but this is my firewall / mail server / dns server so I'm not going to
experiment...

> According to the table at
> <http://debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch05s01.html.en>, the xl and xlt
> systems don't support SRM, which means you can *only* boot Linux on them
> using MILO.  The only remaining site I know of for downloading MILO is
> <http://milo.core-systems.de/>; but once you get the MILO images, you're
> still pretty much on your own for getting Debian installed using it, since
> there's no support for this in the installer.

As long as you can start the installation with a boot (kernel) floppy
and a root floppy (compressed root image that gets loaded into ramdisk),
it shouldn't be a problem. At least, that's how it used to be done :)

I guess I should start making images of my root filesystem... That disk
has been spinning for >10 years :-)

Paul Slootman