Re: Installing on a Alpha XL 300

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 04:36:58PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 03:22:06PM -0500, Adam Mercer wrote:
> > At work I've been given the task of installing Debian on an old Alpha
> > XL 300 (...)
> >
> > Am I on the right track with this? Does anyone know of some simple
> > step by step instructions for installing on Alpha?
>
> (...)
> As far as I know the XL 300 doesn't have SRM and hence only works with
> milo which pretty much means it doesn't work.
>
> You could try install Debian 3.0 and then upgrading from there (...)

Len is spot-on.  See the following link:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch05s01.html.en

It basically says you're stuck with the ARC console firmware and you'll
have to use MILO to install an older release of Debian, say, "woody".
>From there, you *should* be able to do an upgrade to 5.0 ("lenny").

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes...

Bob Tracy          |  "Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand."
rct@frus.com       |   -- Bill Kennedy