Re: firefox-3.0.3 working on alphaev56

Hi Bob,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:25:21AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 01:45:41AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:35:10AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > > I finished the "no debug, no optimization" build last night, but haven't
> > > had a chance to try it yet.

> > Well, crud...  I ended up with something that wasn't quite a debug
> > build, but wasn't quite "no debug" either.
> > (... waiting on new build ...)

> Done!  The "no debug, no optimization" build works like a champ.  Looks
> like the gcc/g++-4.2.4-3 optimizer has issues, as does
> ld-2.18.0.20080103 (the default "relax" option).

> Steve L.: if you're still following this thread, opening bugs against
> binutils, gcc, and g++ with "Repeat by: build firefox-3.0.3..." is
> pretty much guaranteed to be ignored.  Even worse, it's fairly certain
> all these are upstream issues, not specific to Debian.  Any advice as
> to how to proceed?  Current thought is to notify the applicable Debian
> package maintainers, make sure they understand the problem, then let
> them push it upstream as appropriate...  Eric Dorland and Mike Hommey
> (iceweasel package maintainers) are likely aware of the Alpha build
> issues, or at least would understand them well enough to deal
> effectively with the upstream people, yes?

I would start by filing bugs against the Debian gcc-4.3 and binutils
packages; the toolchain maintainers should be able to help guide you through
the process of getting a test case that can be submitted upstream.

If you've found a compiler bug, you'll probably be asked to test with
gcc-snapshot as well.

The -Wl,--relax issue is one I'm well aware of, and I think that default
should be reverted in binutils because it's unreliable, but I've never
gotten around to filing a bug report for it.  It's possible that fixing this
would also fix the longstanding issues with modules on SMP kernels...