Re: firefox-3.0.3 working on alphaev56

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 01:45:41AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:35:10AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > I finished the "no debug, no optimization" build last night, but haven't
> > had a chance to try it yet.
>
> Well, crud...  I ended up with something that wasn't quite a debug
> build, but wasn't quite "no debug" either.
> (... waiting on new build ...)

Done!  The "no debug, no optimization" build works like a champ.  Looks
like the gcc/g++-4.2.4-3 optimizer has issues, as does
ld-2.18.0.20080103 (the default "relax" option).

Steve L.: if you're still following this thread, opening bugs against
binutils, gcc, and g++ with "Repeat by: build firefox-3.0.3..." is
pretty much guaranteed to be ignored.  Even worse, it's fairly certain
all these are upstream issues, not specific to Debian.  Any advice as
to how to proceed?  Current thought is to notify the applicable Debian
package maintainers, make sure they understand the problem, then let
them push it upstream as appropriate...  Eric Dorland and Mike Hommey
(iceweasel package maintainers) are likely aware of the Alpha build
issues, or at least would understand them well enough to deal
effectively with the upstream people, yes?

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.