Re: firefox-3.0.3 working on alphaev56

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:03:07PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> Bob Tracy wrote:
> >After a fashion, anyway...  The .mozconfig file is
> >
> >. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
> >mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/firefox_obj
> >ac_add_options --disable-optimize
> >ac_add_options --enable-debug
> >ac_add_options --disable-tests
>
> By gosh, your right.  Adding in --no-relax to the linking stage and
> disabling optimisation, I now have a working version of Icecat 3.0.3.  It's
> very slow and clunky, probably because of all the debug code included and
> because of the absence of optimisations, but I have browsed to a number of
> pages without a crash!
>
> Does make one wonder if it is a compiler bug...

I finished the "no debug, no optimization" build last night, but haven't
had a chance to try it yet.  An observation in the meantime, though...

I was looking at the sizes of the resulting shared libraries, and the
debug version of libxul.so was unbelievably small.  Turns out the
"missing" bloat is due to other shared libraries that are included in
libxul.so for the non-debug builds.  Check out the "components"
subdirectory where you'll find those libraries :-).  Anyway, the "no
debug, no optimization" build has the all-in-one libxul.so as a major
difference relative to the "debug, no optimization" build, and that may
be a factor in the problems we've been seeing as well.

Mondays are typically long days for me: I'll be able to try out the new
build and send a followup report in about 14 hours :-(.

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.