Re: [stable] aboot - support recent kernels, fix build issues

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 08:17:09PM +0200, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> The problem with updating the aboot package is a little bit more
> complicated:
> It is not enough to update the aboot package alone! You must also write the
> new boot record to your HDD. So if you would add a dependency to the kernel
> image, that needs a newer aboot, it would not help: the people to make their
> systems unbootable.

I agree, and ideally the boot block would be written out with every
update of aboot. I don't feel comfortable making such a large
behavior change in etch, but I think it'd be great to see this happen
for lenny.

For etchnhalf, I think the real benefit of this update is at
installtime. New installs w/ 2.6.24 will automatically get the updated
aboot. The case of existing 2.6.18 users updating to 2.6.24
should be explained in the release notes - but for those who don't
read the release notes, they can still revert to their existing 2.6.18

dann frazier