Re: [stable] aboot - support recent kernels, fix build issues

-----Original Message-----
From: dann frazier <dannf@debian.org>
To: debian-release@lists.debian.org
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 02:56:32 -0600
Subject: [stable] aboot - support recent kernels, fix build issues

etch's aboot doesn't permit booting recent 2.6 kernels. While
backporting a fix for this issue, I ran into a couple of other build
issues that prevent etch's aboot from being rebuilt properly.

The proposed patch for this update and more detailed explanations are
available here:

This package is currently orphaned, but the previous maintainer did

Other than the testing I mentioned above, I've also had successful test
reports from Bdale and Tim Cutts (on albeniz.d.o, iirc).

This is obviously a requirement for alpha support in etchnhalf since
2.6.24 adds the ELF header incompatability. (Though releasing w/o
alpha support is an option as well).

dann frazier

Hi Dann,
The aboot in both lenny and sid work but it is just a matter of proper installation.
Also, off topic here but the kernel builds in etch were at one point installing with symbolic links wrong from root but all symbolic links must be in "/boot/"  on a typical etch install and /boot is a separate ext2 partition with a separate "/boot/etc/aboot.conf".

/dev/sda3              5156060    633116   4522944  13% /
tmpfs                    60464         0     60464   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                     10240       104     10136   2% /dev
tmpfs                    60464         0     60464   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2                73202     21337     47959  31% /boot
/dev/sda7             26625460    781576  25843884   3% /home
/dev/sda6               385824      8500    377324   3% /tmp
/dev/sda4              2883640    384616   2352540  15% /var

If you think my downgrading to your aboot deb packages is safe then I will test it but please reply to me. You may do so off list if you prefer. However, I can confirm that the  aboot versions in testing and unstable do work fine.
>From /boot/ ( remember it is separate ext2 )
Use : "swriteboot -f1 /dev/sda bootlx"
special note : if you don't use the "-f1" switch it will fail.
If you can use lenny ( testing ) or sid ( unstable ) aboot source you might consider it. They work well. I would recommend using lenny or sid aboot.

By the way Dann, I see your patches for the 2.4 nubus ppc kernel so I know your work.

Take care,
Rodney Ross <rodross@myrealbox.com>