Re: Hmm, IDE DMA seems broken with Etch on my PWS433a (Miata MX5).

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 03:54:00PM -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> If the CPUs are soldered to the daughtercards, it'd be quite difficult.
> If not, it still might be no-go, as the higher speed may need some
> ancillary chips to be higher speed as well. You could probably exchange
> daughtercards of different speeds, though...

Well there are apparently dip switch settings for 600MHz (after all
there was a PWS600a I believe).  The cpu is in a nice ZIF socket, so no
problem getting it in and out.  I would have to find the right wrench to
move the heat sink over (I love the bolt on heat sink design.  How
neat).

Not sure about the daughter card bit.  Hmm.  The only other part of the
mainboard that seems removable is the 2MB L3 cache module.

> Oh, and the 433MHz is also a 21164A, aka EV56, just slower.

OK, I wasn't sure about that one yet.

> Definitely, the 433 is an early MIATA and thus doesn't have all the
> "Pyxis fixes" that a MIATA-GL (latest) would have, and so could indeedbe
> susceptible to the DMA bug... :-\

Does booting the installer with 'ide=nodma' seem likely to work until I
can rebuild the kernel with one of the patches to avoid the DMA bug?

> MIATA Qlogic cards were typically 1020-based, which is only narrow,
> IIRC. If you do have a 1040-based controller, that should do wide,
> and may depend on the cable and/or termination.

Well linux says it is a 1020 I believe, but the card has an internal
and external 68pin connector as well as one internal 50pin connector.
The 50pin is working fine, but the two drives the machine came with
are wide as is the cable the machine came with, so I would assume at
some point this thing did work with wide scsi drives.  I am hoping all
it needs is a new wide scsi cable (the existing one was rather sharply
bent through that tiny whole between the PCI slots and the drive bays).

Thanks for the hints.  I was starting to think no one was using the
alphas anymore. :)

--
Len Sorensen