Hmm, IDE DMA seems broken with Etch on my PWS433a (Miata MX5).

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:54:27PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well on a high note, I managed to boot a Miata 433 MHz with 256MB ram,
> after upgrading the firmware to the latest version and switching it to
> SRM.  As soon as I get a working HD in it I will get Etch going on it.
>
> Does anyone know if I could move a 600MHz 21164A into the Miata in place
> of the 433MHz 21164?

I put an 80GB IDE drive in my PWS433a and it is detected and shows up
during the install and I can partition it.  However it fails horribly
when making filesystems.  The disk worked perfectly in the PC I took it
out of right before putting it in the alpha.

So have I hit the PYXIS DMA crossing page boundary bug here?  I found
some patches from years ago for the ide driver to ensure that it never
tries to cross a page boundary when doing DMA to the IDE device, but
looking at current kernel code it certainly doesn't look like that is
something that is part of the standard kernel.  Is it normal to have to
patch this in yourself if you want to be able to run IDE with DMA on
this system?

The reason for going to IDE is that the Qlogic scsi card only wants to
see narrow scsi drives, not wide.  Could be the cable, but I don't have
a spare cable to try with yet, and unfortunately the only narrow scsi
drive I have around has lots of bad sectors so I can't really use it.

Any suggestions on what is the best way to deal with this?  I am
starting to wonder how anyone ever managed to do any work on an alpha
machine with this many stupid hardware mistakes. :)

--
Len Sorensen