Re: Hmm, IDE DMA seems broken with Etch on my PWS433a (Miata MX5).

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:54:27PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Well on a high note, I managed to boot a Miata 433 MHz with 256MB ram,
>> after upgrading the firmware to the latest version and switching it to
>> SRM.  As soon as I get a working HD in it I will get Etch going on it.
>>
>> Does anyone know if I could move a 600MHz 21164A into the Miata in place
>> of the 433MHz 21164?

If the CPUs are soldered to the daughtercards, it'd be quite difficult.
If not, it still might be no-go, as the higher speed may need some
ancillary chips to be higher speed as well. You could probably exchange
daughtercards of different speeds, though...

Oh, and the 433MHz is also a 21164A, aka EV56, just slower.

> So have I hit the PYXIS DMA crossing page boundary bug here?  I found
> some patches from years ago for the ide driver to ensure that it never
> tries to cross a page boundary when doing DMA to the IDE device, but
> looking at current kernel code it certainly doesn't look like that is
> something that is part of the standard kernel.  Is it normal to have to
> patch this in yourself if you want to be able to run IDE with DMA on
> this system?

Definitely, the 433 is an early MIATA and thus doesn't have all the
"Pyxis fixes" that a MIATA-GL (latest) would have, and so could indeedbe
susceptible to the DMA bug... :-\

> The reason for going to IDE is that the Qlogic scsi card only wants to
> see narrow scsi drives, not wide.  Could be the cable, but I don't have
> a spare cable to try with yet, and unfortunately the only narrow scsi
> drive I have around has lots of bad sectors so I can't really use it.

MIATA Qlogic cards were typically 1020-based, which is only narrow,
IIRC. If you do have a 1040-based controller, that should do wide,
and may depend on the cable and/or termination.

Good luck.

--Jay++

--
Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301