Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 10:17:33AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> The posted reply was:
> > try http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/14/259

> As it turns out, the problem was actually introduced with 2.6.23-rc1:
> 2.6.22 works fine.

> The l-k people say aboot needs a patch.  Question to Steve L. et al: is
> a patch in the works?

Not until now...

> Would you like a motivated tester? :-)

Yes; when we have a fixed package I won't be in a position to test it right
away, so it would be helpful if you would test.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 01:52:10PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Jay Estabrook wrote:
> > If you can't wait for that, you can always use BOOTP, which bypasses
> > aboot entirely... :-)

> Unfortunately, that may be the only way to get past this problem in
> the near term :-(.  Just for grins and giggles, I retrieved the source
> package for aboot-0.9b-3 and tried to build the current version, i.e.,
> I wanted to verify I could build what I've got before messing with
> something as critical as a bootloader.

> To make a long story short, the build is broken, probably because the
> tool chain has changed significantly since the last time anyone looked
> at this program.

Yes, that's bug #437296.

Try <http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/aboot/> instead as a starting point.
The package builds with the current sid toolchain; I haven't yet applied
Richard's patch, but will look at doing that soon.

FWIW, the issue with 2.6.23rc booting deserves its own bug in the BTS.