Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

Tom Evans wrote:
> I was trying to boot 2.6.23-rc1 a few weeks ago.  Asked about the newer
> binutils - thought that may have been the reason it failing.
>
> Glad you hit the kml instead and found an answer (and glad I wasn't the
> only person seeing a problem with the 2.6.23-rcX series).
> It wasn't a binutils issue, but that the stock aboot is misguided.
>
> I'd also be willing to test a patched aboot.

If you can't wait for that, you can always use BOOTP, which bypasses
aboot entirely... :-)

Just:

	make boot
	make bootpzfile
	scp arch/alpha/boot/bootpzfile someplace:/tftpboot

However, your config prolly would need to change, to build in most
of the stuff that's now loaded from INITRD, although that can be
accomplished as well via some trickery... ;-}

Good luck.

--Jay++

--
Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301