Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

Bob Tracy wrote:
> Jay Estabrook wrote:
> > If you can't wait for that, you can always use BOOTP, which bypasses
> > aboot entirely... :-)
>
> Unfortunately, that may be the only way to get past this problem in
> the near term :-(.  Just for grins and giggles, I retrieved the source
> package for aboot-0.9b-3 and tried to build the current version, i.e.,
> I wanted to verify I could build what I've got before messing with
> something as critical as a bootloader.
>
> To make a long story short, the build is broken, probably because the
> tool chain has changed significantly since the last time anyone looked
> at this program.

A spot of good news to report.  Jay provided a pointer to the SourceForge
page where the latest code lives.  Retrieved that, applied the patch for
2.6.23+, changed "#include <linux/config.h>" to "#include <linux/autoconf.h>"
in lib/isolib.c, and everything built properly.

I'm not in front of the machine, but I'll give the new bootloader a try
later today.  The instructions for installing "bootlx" were pretty
straightforward, and the code seems to have been written where I expected
it to end up after running "swriteboot".  I reckon as long as the new code
works at least as well as the old, I won't have to scramble for a CD to
regain boot capability :-).

Bob Tracy               | "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
rct@frus.com            |  sucked into jet engines."       --Anon