Patch for buggy pthreads on stable found

Tags: patch

I created a patch for glibc (version 2.3.6.ds1) that fixes the zombie
processes bug. It uses an ifdef'ed version of the waitpid_not_cancel macro
that uses on alpha the standard wait4 syscall instead of an inline syscall.
All other architectures are not changed.

I put the attached patch into debian/patches/alpha/ of the source package
and added the following line to debian/patches/series:

alpha/local-waitpid-not-cancel.diff -p0

after that I built with "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot". The .deb files and
source packages can be found here:

http://alpha.thetaphi.de/glibc-alpha/

Anybody who uses Debian stable and has the zombiefied processes should
install the file

http://alpha.thetaphi.de/glibc-alpha/libc6.1_2.3.6.ds1-13_alpha.deb

On their machine to get rid of the error. The other deb files are the same
like from the repository (so you do only need to install libc6.1). The
version number of the package is the same (I did not change the package
description).

After installation I started some known-to-zombiefy programs
(gnome-cups-icon, amule, mysql) and no further zombies occurred. To check if
the patched version of glibc was really used, I looked into ps output and
checked that multithreaded programs create more than one process entry (as
not nptl) but do not leave them zombiefied when cleaning up.

As this patch seems to fix this bug I stop now further investigating and let
Aurelien and the Maintainers add the patch! Hope I helped you!

My machine will now go again to 2.5-2 with NPTL :) ...
-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de