Re: No SRM console on reboot?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:47:40PM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>  Lately when I shutdown or reboot my etch installation on my multia, it
> doesn't take me back to the SRM console like it used to. Instead, I get
> this:
>
> Will now restart.
> Restarting system.
> .
>
> halted CPU 0
>
> halt code = 5
> HALT instruction executed
> PC = fffffc0001010040
>
> CPU 0 booting
>
> halt code = 5
> HALT instruction executed
> PC = 4
>
> Brk 0 at 00120448
>
> 00120448! BPT
>

>    And I have to power down and totally restart the system. I don't
> recall changing anything in SRM that would do this, although I did
> remove the monitor and am using only the serial console, but that
> shouldn't make a difference, I wouldn't think.

Is it possible that your kernel changed about the time that this
problem started appearing? What kernel are you having the problem
with? Can you remember what kernel you did NOT have the problem with?

It's unlikely that your hardware configuration changed (on Multia :-),
so was there any other software that might have been installed about
the same time?

Since the kernel changes the PCI bus and controller settings from what
SRM set, it attempts to save the original settings and restore them
when gracefully (non-crash) shutting down. If it doesn't get it right,
ie doesn't restore everything necessary, this problem could happen.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com