Re: Xorg 7 fixed on alpha

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 11:00:16AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 25/01/2007, at 10:42 AM, Jay Estabrook wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 09:46:03AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> >>
> >>1) Are there known issues with the tga2 driver/cards and xorg 7.1 ?
> >
> >Well, yes; there's no TGA driver module! It was never ported to the
> >modularized driver scheme in Xorg 7.x.
>
> Well, that explains the issues with the DEC video card.

;-}

> >>2) Is the blocky line issue on the consoles terminals a configuration
> >>issue or something more serious?  Where would I look in the
> >>configuration files to fix that up?
> >
> >It's probably a matter of the save/restore of state by the Cirrus
> >driver is not working correctly on Alpha.
> >
> >You've a MUCH better chance for satisfaction with ATI or Matrox
> >or Permedia based cards; those are known to work fine.
>
> Ahh, but the above was seen with an ATI Radeon 7000 card.  I pulled
> out the DEC video card and inserted the Radeon 7000.  Then I saw the
> problems with the console terminals.  Admittedly I didn't think at
> the time to check thoroughly the X11 log file to check for any
> reported issues, but I did change the video driver spec in the /etc/
> X11/xorg.conf file to radeon.

Oh, OK, I got confused on the details... :-\

But the comment may still be accurate; the 7000 itself has always been
problematic, on any architecture IIRC, and it's possible that the
save/restore of stock VGA settings doesn't quite work on that card on
Alpha. I've not noticed problems with a 7500, but I'm not sure I've
looked recently at text consoles. I've been pleased with the stability
when exiting the server on 7500 (and 9100), meaning it seems to always
get to text mode reasonably cleanly.

Sorry I can't be more help.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com