Re: Xorg 7 fixed on alpha

On 8/01/2007, at 5:45 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

I'm happy to report that after quite a bit of hunting, bug #392500 is fixed
in xorg-server 2:1.1.1-14 in incoming.

Nice.

I've finally got around to trying it out. A PWS600AU with its original DEC supplied video card that uses the tga2 driver. Had upgraded to etch RC1 awhile ago, and updated from package servers last night (probably last morning for you guys on the wrong side of the world) and upgraded the kernel to the latest debian kernel to sort out that blasted virtual memory problem that aptitude tripped up.

It's a bit strange. A whole of lot of colours don't show up and just appear black. E.g. the gdm login screen is all black except for the box for entering in the login username/password. Same once logged into gnome. Many colours just appear as black. Bit difficult to use when things like menus just fade into the abyss. By choosing themes I managed to find one in which most things were visible.

Wondered if it might be a driver issue, so ripped out the DEC video card and stuck in a ATI Radeon 7000 that I managed to borrow off a mate, and changed the video driver to radeon in xorg.conf. The gdm login screen and gnome all work fine now - so fixes the problem described above. But the console terminals (tty1 to tty6) are now all buggered up. Lots of blocky lines with slight changes in pattern where one would normally expect to see text!

So questions:

1) Are there known issues with the tga2 driver/cards and xorg 7.1 ?

2) Is the blocky line issue on the consoles terminals a configuration issue or something more serious? Where would I look in the configuration files to fix that up?

Cheerio
Michael.