Radeon 7500 cards

The SiS 6326 experiment has pretty much been a failure.  Card works
fine in text mode, but I miss being able to run X11.

Next up for evaluation in my PWS 433au will be a non-ATI-branded
Radeon 7500 by PowerColor (slogan: "Best game card in the world").

Jay et. al.: is there anything special about the officially blessed
3X-PBXGG-AA other than the $319 price I found at one on-line store?
I expect the video BIOS is fairly crucial depending on the OS, and
I *have* seen the reports of problems involving non-ATI-branded cards.
In spite of that, I'm giving the PowerColor card a try because I got
it (will have it early next week) for approx. $300 less than the Compaq
version :-).

If the non-ATI 7500 doesn't work, I may try a genuine ATI 7500 at some
point, but I'll definitely go back to the TGA2 to make sure I'm not
fighting more than one problem.  2.6.17 and 2.6.18-rc1 kernels are
both generating "Oopses" when Xorg fires up, and there are several
reports of problems with Xorg 7.0.X (although I had 7.0.20 working
with the TGA2 before I removed that card).

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com