Re: Radeon 7500 cards

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:05:31PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:

> Next up for evaluation in my PWS 433au will be a non-ATI-branded
> Radeon 7500 by PowerColor (slogan: "Best game card in the world").
>
> Jay et. al.: is there anything special about the officially blessed
> 3X-PBXGG-AA other than the $319 price I found at one on-line store?

Only the guarantee to work with Tru64 and VMS... ;-}

It IS an OEM'ed card from ATI, but don't think there's anything
special in the BIOS.

> I expect the video BIOS is fairly crucial depending on the OS, and
> I *have* seen the reports of problems involving non-ATI-branded cards.

If the SRM console can get it successfully through its BIOS emulator
and into console text mode, you should be OK.

> In spite of that, I'm giving the PowerColor card a try because I got
> it (will have it early next week) for approx. $300 less than the Compaq
> version :-).

I've had good luck (pre Xorg 7.0) with a VisionTek 9100 (R200 chipset,
which sadly appears unavailable lately), but IIRC all my 7500's are
the OEM'ed version. I think some folks have had success with 9250's,
but also pre-7.0.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com