Re: Alpha SMP status

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:

>>> May be it is running out of space for per cpu area. You can try by
>>> increasing the PERCPU_ENOUGH_ROOM in include/linux/percpu.h and see if
>>> get pass. I looked other 64 bit archs x86_64 and ia64 and they both have
>>> different value. May be alpha also needs a different value.
>>
>> These patches have been useful for the AlphaCore-2 2.6.15-based
>> kernels in getting SMP working, though we seem to also need to build
>> part of the SCSI subsystem into the kernel as well.
>
> Instead of increasing it to another constant, How about this
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=116593521703170&w=2
>
> If you agree Can you send an ACK to akpm on this ?

This does fix the "No per-cpu room for modules" error, but we then go back
to the "module ipv6: Relocation overflow vs section 27" error, as seen in
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/linux/axp/2005-q1/0157.html and as
early as 2.5.72: http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/6/24/64

There's a patch at http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/11/42, but that's already
been applied. http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/8/99 suggests it might be a gcc
issue - I'm using gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-19).

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |