Re: Is there a problem with ustable kernel 2.6.16?

The problem seems to be solved now. apt-get installed a new yaird version today and I also checked the /boot filesystem (without errors). After reinstalling the kernel package it booted. So I think yaird was the problem, the question is only why aboot did not display any messages when loading this files (screen update problem before crash?). The old and working kernel was installed with an yaird before march 15th, so I think the version after that had a bug.

Thanks,
Uwe

At 22:25 04.06.2006, Uwe Schindler wrote:
At 19:23 14.06.2006, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
Hello,
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:20:57AM +0200, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> problems, but with this one aboot crashes before printing out any

How did you determine that aboot crashes (I don't doubt it, but maybe
the new kernel cannot initialize video or something?)

The problem is that the messages about loading the kernel file (vmlinuz and initrd.img) do not show. The screen background is blue at this time (when booting 2.6.15). After loading vmlinuz and initrd (the messages about that are printed to the blue SRM console), the kernel starts and switches video mode soon. 2.6.16 hangs before loading vmlinuz/initrd.img.

This evening I will try to reboot the machine and force a check of the /boot partition. It could be that because of the "heat"-crash (machine check and then freeze - hehe) the /boot partition is somewhat damaged and aboot crashes when trying to load the kernel image. This would be a proper cause for a crash without messages before loading the vmlinuz image (it even does not try to unpack it, NOTHING happens).

I will keep you informed!

> messages about loading compressed/uncompresses vmlinuz files. After
> entering the profile number in aboot-interactive the cursor goes into
> the next line and nothing happens anymore. The machine can only be
> reanimated by pressing reset. Tried both -generic and -legacy
> kernels. 2.6.15-generic runs fine from aboot. Instead of crashing you
> see the message about "Loading uncompressed vmlinuz...\nLoading
> compressed vmlinuz...\n" and so on. So this seems to be an aboot
> problem (do we need a newer version of aboot or is the compression

I am afraid aboot upstream is in deep sleep.

> algo of the vmlinuz file changed and aboot does not know this)? Or
> could it be a problem with the initrd (since installing 2.6.15 the
> yaird package was updated but for 2.6.15 mkinitrd did not run again).
> But the initrd is loaded by the running kernel a little bit later, so
> you should see the messages about loading the vmlinuz...

I agree. If you determine that this is aboot fault, please file a
proper bug report against aboot (though I cannot help you on this
atm). If you'll find a workaround/patch, even better :-))

My question was if somebody else has similar problems with the latest unstable kernel for alpha. If aboot has a bug it should happen somewhere else, too.

Greetings from the same "hot" country,

            Helge
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys. Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de
                       gpg signed mail preferred

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de - http://www.schindlers-software.de
eMails: uwe@thetaphi.de (private); info@schindlers-software.de (company)
Tel./Fax: +49 700 PCLATEIN (+49 700 72528346)

Schindlers Software - Home of Schindlers PC-LATEIN 3.20
DIE Software zum Lateinlernen!