Re: Xorg upgrade: 6.9.x to 7.0.x

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:55:35PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> The motivation for attempting the upgrade is a missing "sis_drv.so" file
> in the 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 xserver-xorg package.  If anyone can explain why
> this was omitted from the Alpha package, I might feel better about the
> upgrade pain I'm now contemplating.  In particular, if someone knows
> that a SiS 6326 8MB PCI card won't work in a PWS 433au, please let me
> know immediately so I won't waste my time trying to make it work.

> The somewhat longer explanation is as follows:

> x11-common_7.0.20 can't be installed because xserver-xorg depends on
> xserver-common, which conflicts with x11-common.

> xserver-xorg_7.0.20 can't be installed because of a pre-dependency on
> x11-common (>= 7.0.0-0ubuntu3).

> After examining the problem from several angles, it appears the least
> risky place to apply force is the xserver-xorg_7.0.20 package using the
> "dpkg --force-depends -i" crowbar.

> Comments and/or better ideas would be most welcome.

Using apt (aptitude dist-upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade) gives you
automatic handling of this upgrade path by passing all the necessary options
to dpkg for auto-deconfiguring dependencies.

BTW, all the evidence I have so far suggests xorg 7.0 is completely broken
on alpha; I haven't had time to dig into it enough yet to file a bug report
though.  In your case, I guess it doesn't hurt to upgrade if your video
already doesn't work, I just would suggest not expecting too many miracles
from 7.0 just yet.