Re: Xorg upgrade: 6.9.x to 7.0.x

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:55:35PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:

> In particular, if someone knows that a SiS 6326 8MB PCI card won't
> work in a PWS 433au, please let me know immediately so I won't waste
> my time trying to make it work.

Sorry, Bob, I know neither good nor bad of that card or server, never
having used either.

The biggest battle is often getting past the SRM console BIOS emulation;
many cards (notably nVidia TNT) had BIOS code that gave trouble to the
older versions of the SRM's BIOS emulator. If it doesn't just black-
screen you, and you get to an SRM prompt, then it will probably be OK
at least for text mode.

BEFORE removing the TGA card in that MIATA, do the following at SRM:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

which should prevent the SRM console from complaining about an unknown
card in one of the 64-bit slots (it has its own table of "acceptable"
cards, and no SiS card would be in it).

If the Xserver hangs after clearing the screen but before painting
anything, it may be that its own BIOS emulator is failing. In that
case, add:

	Option	"NoINT10" "true"

to the Device Section of the xorg.conf file to bypass that step.

It also should be noted that the SiS server probably has MUCH less
Alpha exposure than radeon, matrox, S3, tdfx, and glint, so it may
have some rough edges on your MIATA...

Good luck, let us know how you make out...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com