Re: smp problems on AlphaServer 4100

--On Friday, February 24, 2006 07:48:24 PM -0800 Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

I agree that debugging old software does not sound useful, so I will
work  on building a current kernel.  This usually takes me a couple of
iterations  to get the devices right.  I guess I could use the kernel
from etch, but I  would only want the kernel from unstable.  I am not
enough of an apt-get  expert to know how to get only one package from
unstable.  Hmmm, maybe I  should just dpkg install the .deb for the
kernel?

You should be able to do that, but you will also need an initramfs
generator package, since 2.6.15 doesn't support devfs and initrd-tools
depends on devfs for operation.  If you already have a 2.6 kernel
running, the easiest should be to install yaird and
linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-smp; those should be the only two packages you
need from etch.

But also note that since you mention you're using qlogic drivers, the
problem described at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2006/02/msg00159.html> probably
applies...

Yes. I have pretty much decided to purge the qLogic controllers from my Alpha/Linux systems. I will use old NCR based cards, like an Intraserver 4280, to boot from and Adaptec controllers for the bulk of the disks. It will take me about a week to get the rest of the hardware together before I can attack the first systems. I really need to make this happen because the with last upgrade of our backup software we have not been able to backup the old RedHat 7.2 systems. 8-( It is really nice they have been very stable. So, I expect that in about two weeks I will start attacking my smp system with a 2.6 kernel again.

Thanks for you help,

Bill