Re: Multia netboot with SRM

Steve Langasek wrote:

>>>Um, booting from the network without having your network cable plugged in is
>>>obviously impossible.  Does this persist across a power cycle of the system?
>>>

>>      Yes, I would think it impossible, but it's holding that in memory
>>or something. And no, it doesn't do it if I power cycle, then if the
>>cable is  not plugged in, it hunts for which type of cable it is, but
>>once I put the cable back in, it gives me the same message
>>

>Which message?

    The output that gives 0.0.0.0 for the server IP and the multia's hw
address for the server's. I have no clue what is happening there, but it
seems to require a power-cycle to change anything, and even leaving it
off awhile.

>>-- but with the correct /tftpboot/filewhatever is now in the dhcpd.conf.
>>But with 0.0.0.0 for the server ip and the mulitas hw address.
>>

>And there were no changes in your dhcpd.conf between the working netboot and
>this now failing one?

      No, other than changing the entry to the new image. But anyway,
it's working again -- I removed aftpd and re-installed it, and it works
again. Don't know what happened -- also tried your tftpd and also
tftpd-hpa (which is the one recommended in the intel netboot
instructions) but they didn't work either.
     Anyway -- the newest image just reboots to srm like the other did.
The tftpboot.img still works. But I'm not sure that alpha-netboot.img is
going as far as boot.img -- it loads initrd, but I don't see it booting
the kernel before the screen goes black.