2.6.15 SMP problem

I'm trying to run 2.6.15 SMP on my DS20, but during boot, it has a problem and the boot aborts. The error messages are:

module scsi_mod: Relocation overflow vs section 29
FATAL: Error inserting scsi_mod (/lib/modules/2.6.15-1-alpha-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.ko): Invalid module format
Done.

Looking around the internet, it looks like this problem, or a very similar one, has occurred before. But I haven't been able to find a solution yet. Does anyone have an idea how to fix or workaround this?

Thanks,
      Garry Easop