Re: Debugging Multia boot problems: take one

Steve Langasek wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:25:58AM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>

>>     I'll try that.  Does etch have the hostap drivers and net_radio
>>turned on in the kernel, BTW?
>>

>Yes.

    Ah, great, but only in the 2.6.x kernel I suppose? I thought the
2.4.27-2 kernel I'm running came from the etch cd, but maybe not.

>>>Also, has anyone tried using one of the netboot images on the Multia?  If
>>>it's relevant, I can provide hacked netboot images as well to save people
>>>the trouble of repeatedly burning CDs; but I haven't heard anyone report
>>>problems with netboot on the Multia, just CD booting.
>>>

>>     I haven't tried the netboot because I only have internet access via
>>wifi and haven't yet figured out bridging well enough to get it working
>>on my desktop. The bridge "works" but doesn't route.
>>

>Ok.  It may still be useful to know whether it boots.

     Maybe I can try that tomorrow night.

>>>The last thing I need is for someone to confirm for me that using unmodified
>>>woody install CDs also works on these same Multia systems that can't boot
>>>sarge.
>>>

>>     Yes, it does here. On my multia, with 256mb ram, I can boot 30r5
>>and 30r6 with no problem.
>>

>Ok.
>
>On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:43:58AM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>

>>       Unfortunately, that doesn't boot. Aboot starts, loads initrd and
>>then vmlinuz and then it just sits there, just like the others.
>>

>Hmm, alright.  And it isn't just that console output is being sent somewhere
>other than you're looking for it?

     No, I do the -fl i to use aboot interactively and choose "0", but
just for jollies I just tried in choosing "1" to see if it did anything
different (not that I had a term hooked to ttyS0) but there's no
response to the keyboard after /boot/linux goes. After about a 30-45 sec
the keyboard lights flash, but then nothing happens after that, and it
has done that with everything from 31r0 onwards.