Re: SMP-DS20 (DP264) beginner problems

On 2006-01-12 18:56:22 +0100, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2006-01-11 17:48:43 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Ah.  In that case, could you give us the exact version of the kernel image
> > package you have installed,
>

> kernel-image-2.6.8-2-smp        2.6.8-16sarge1
>
> > and the error message you get trying to load
> > this module?
>
> The last screenful of complete messages is
>
> module scsi_mod: Relocation overflow vs section 23
> WARNING: Error inserting scsi_mod
> (/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.ko): Invalid
> module format
> sd_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_device_get
> sd_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_wait_req
[...]
> FATAL: Error inserting sd_mod
> (/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/sd_mod.ko): Unknown symbol
> in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> Above that is a partial message for aic7xxx.ko. Looks like it cannot
> load any module from the initrd, it doesn't seem to be specific to the
> sym53c875 controller.
[...]
> Maybe I should just rebuild the initrd for the smp kernel?

Nope. The output changes, but probably only because the order in which
the modules are loaded is different. Now the only error message I can
read (partially) is for sr_mod (Unknown symbol in module, or unknown
parameter (see dmesg)), after that several modules seem to be loaded
successfully (e1000, ide, usbcore, ohci_hcd, tulip). pivot_root still
fails because it can't find the root device.

Looking at the modules, I can't see a difference between say sr_mod.ko
and tulip.ko, but then I don't know what differences to look for.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Ich sehe nun ein, dass Computer wenig
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | geeignet sind, um sich was zu merken.