Re: X.org and the Matrox Millenium II

Followup:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 01:49:05AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:29:31PM -0400, jacob wrote:
> > Greetings all.

> > Today with a day of mixed blessings. I was over-joyed to see X.org
> > finally make into the Alpha/Sid. However, no amount of convolutions by
> > myself was sufficient to cause it to work on my "Matrox Graphics, Inc.
> > MGA 2164W [Millennium II]".

> > Sadly, the settings with which the card worked under 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14
> > seemed no longer acceptable to the X.org mga_drv. *sigh*

> > After googling (as much as I was up to tonight), I added 'Load "xaa"' to
> > get rid of the XAA* unresolved symbols. I tried not loading any modules.
> > Nothing I did seemed to affect the xf86I2C* unresolved symbols, nor the
> > type 28 Elf_Relocation error (google was strangely silent about this
> > error). I was able to lock up the display, so it wouldn't change,
> > regardless of input (although I was still able to switch to tty1, with a
> > blank screen, and reboot).

> I've just upgraded to xserver-xorg on my alpha in response to your mail.
> The missing symbols are fixed by adding these two lines to xorg.conf:

>         Load    "xaa"
>         Load    "libi2c"

> Sounds like a bug to me; I shouldn't have to manually load modules in order
> to use a particular X driver...

> The segfault, though, remains even after making this change.  (The
> Elf_RelocationEntry() errors do also, but I'm not certain those are a real
> problem).  Please file a bug report against the xserver-xorg package, so
> that the X maintainers can take a look at this.

Ok, in fact the ELF_RelocationEntry() errors *are* related: if I install
xserver-xorg-dbg, which doesn't depend on X's bletcherous internal ELF
object loader, there's no segfault at all; the server starts fine.  So a
workaround for you is to use xserver-xorg-dbg for right now, but the
xserver-xorg package is more or less completely broken on alpha.

XSF, can we switch to using dlloader on alpha?  Pleeaaaase? :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer